Have you ever walked past a house and stopped to admire its exterior? Possibly due to the lush garden, picket fence and that amazing entryway, well that is the house’s curb appeal. Curb appeal is the attractiveness of the exterior of a residential or commercial property.
Curb appeal can be accomplished by any number of methods including installation of windows and doors, exterior decoration, re-painting, or extensive attention to the landscaping.
There are 3 main reasons to consider a home exterior renovation project;
- Resale. Studies have shown that a home buyer often won’t step out of their realtor’s car if your exterior is in poor shape, buyers decide within the first 8 seconds whether they are interested in your home. With the right home exterior changes your potential buyers will be excited to walk in your front door because the curb appeal has created the anticipation for what is to come inside. When your money is spent strategically it can add great value to your home and you can achieve a great return on investment.
- Windows and doors. Have you had enough of the drafty exterior doors and ice build up on your windows? This is an excellent opportunity to replace your old windows and doors and create not only a more appealing exterior but also added value to your home by saving you on monthly energy costs.
- Energy efficiency. You will benefit by eliminating the exhausting upkeep on your homes exterior with revolutionary low maintenance products that are energy efficient and look incredible. The value of your home will increase dramatically and put that smile on your face as you come and go day after day.
How to increase your home’s curb appeal;
- Colour. When re-painting your home take inspiration from your surroundings, such as your flowerbed. Also keep in mind that the colour of your trim should complement the colour of your roof. Add accents of colour on outdoor accessories or small areas of your homes exterior.
- Entrance. Having an entryway that is inviting is ideal. Paint your front doors with a strong colour so that it stands out from the rest of your home. Flank your door with urns or planter boxes. If you have a porch add an update and make it more attractive by adding a new railing.
- Landscaping. Architectural landscaping is a very effective way to add colour, beauty,vitality and personality. Embellish a walkway by embedding stepping stones into the rass or use gravel to carve out a path. Use flowers, shrubs, tress and bushes to enhance the look of your home or cover an arbour with roses or clematis to make a lasting impression. Fences are also another option for adding creativity and personality. Try a white picket fence for a cottage look, or a wrought iron fence for stately elegance.
Whether you want to change the entire exterior of your home or prefer to chip off a little bit at a time, you can never go wrong when it comes to sprucing up the exterior of your home.